Thursday, December 22, 2005

Holiday Giving it all Vegan


Giving the perfect Gift Vegan! for the holidays is usually as simple as cash. Or, a big brick of gold. Though some vegans might argue over the collateral damage incurred on the mining of Gold, silver or the destruction of trees to print cash...this one here isn't. Please send some my way! Gold. I meant send gold... or a brick of Silver.

Though, ideally, you'll also be dropping off toys, catfood, dogfood, extra blankets, carriers and maybe a donation to your local HSUS shelter. Also, you can adopt a cat or dog for Christmas. This year I adopted Franklin for $50. He came with shots and a microchip, and some problems totalling another $160 at the vet. Plus toys, food he likes, litter. Then see the above photo. I took him to see Santa for a local no-Kill-shelter...proceeds went to the Kitties at the shelter.

Be polite. If someone is Veg. ask them if they eat Milk, Honey, or Eggs. It will save them the embarrassment of returning your gift, or giving it away. One year I received more than 5 lbs. of Homemade fudge from my students. I actually took it to the kitchen and weighed it. I was really thankful that year to unload it at the local RockGym where carbohydrate burning teens demolished the fudge. Along with the plethora of Dollar store & Yankee candles from my students that I had to chuck immediately. Admittedly, I held onto the one Soy Candle I received. The Soy candle smelled great even without being lit. Candles are forbidden in the family home since we lost our Grandmother to a candle ignited housefire. Instead of giving the gift of arson...please please look below;

Really great vegan gifts include:
A box/case of Silken tofu from my "stand in Aunt"- this is one of the typical Holiday gifts I receive. Every year, I laugh to myself about how it will keep for the next 5 years in the basement. Though, it rarely makes it's way past February. It's a main ingredient in holiday treats and daily cooking.

I'd prefer: TofuKan from Ithaca Tofu- Baked marinated tofu, Primal Strips, Now & Zen Unchicken & chocolate Mousse, Freshly Roasted Coffee, Box of Cliff Bars, and things from the below links.

General Gift Basket Items:
Products from the ever popular Pangea Store in Bethesda, MD. www.veganstore.com
Stuff that's normal to you in your everyday life; like a box of Doughnuts...is a special treat to many of us who are vegan. Vegan Doughnuts go for about $2.00 to $3.00 a piece.

Clothing:
Other things include Faux Fleece, Faux Fur, and other great warm fabrics that aren't wool, have wool content, or have silk content. Some vegans are into all cotton organic clothing, baggy peasant clothes style. That's 100% cotton. Others like me prefer microfleece and Patagonia, form fitting Jeans that flex, revised dance clothing, etc. "Faux Fleece" from Northface, Patagonia, Outdoors companies; It's the substitute for the Christmas sweater from Aunt Mae.
Or add one of my MilkWhat? Soy. Tshirts www.cafepress.com/milkwhat?to your list of VegItems not yet had!!! What vegan doesn't have a Veg T-shirt collection?

The Best Vegan Cookbooks: http://www.vegsource.com/jo/books/vittles.htm
For Farm Sanctuary "Vegan Vittles" by Jo Stepaniak
The Uncheeze Cookbook http://www.ivu.org/recipes/extras/rich-j.html

Donate to the Best Organizations for 2005-2006:
#1 Humane USA www.humaneusa.org
Summary: This Organization keeps the politicians informed of the public view on Animal Welfare. Keeps track of Senators and Representatives voting records with the Humane Scorecard. Lobbies for the Animals.

#2 WSPA- World Society for the Protection of Animals http://www.wspa-usa.org/
Summary: An Umbrella Organization for Global animal Welfare. Did outreach and sent Mobile Vet Clinics to the Tsunami hit areas of Asia 2005.