Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Learning about Tofu

My mother immigrated from Japan in the late 60's. She did her best with raising me with Japanese values and food. I loved tofu, rice, and many other traditional japanese dishes. My involvement with Japanese food increased after she was terminally diagnosed with cancer. I had food and herbs from my Obasan to eat.

When I got into High school there was a blonde haired blue eyed girl who took interest in me. We only talked because I was vegan at that point in time. She decided that she would take me "under-her wing" and teach me all about tofu. She really taught me nothing but her arrogance. I kept my mouth shut in fear of being brutalized like i was so frequently on the playground. I imagine today that she still doesn't care about people; doesn't mind nuclear bombs; and she called herself an environmentalist.